Placencia is home to white sand beaches, virgin mangrove-fringed lagoons, a wilderness of coral-studded cayes, nearby jungle rivers and a vibrant art scene. With its wooden houses on stilts and main road a pathway through the sand, the place is about as relaxed as you can get.
• Snorkel with the graceful whale sharks, the planet’s largest fish
• Head out on a boat at sunset in search of dolphins and manatees
• Learn to make traditional corn tortillas as Indian Creek Village
• Go in search of the jaguars living in the pristine Jaguar Preserve
• Enjoy a cold beer and the Garifuna drums in laid-back Placencia village
Spend your days in the water enjoying some scuba diving, fishing, snorkeling or just relaxing on the beach, and your nights at the many bustling restaurants and watering holes that feature local food, culture and live music